Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Series Review: Life On The Edge and Edge Of The Past by Jennifer Comeaux...BEST OF THE BEST Rating...


Book One
Life on the Edge
Nineteen-year-old Emily is new to pairs skating, but she and her partner Chris have a big dream–to be the first American team to win Olympic gold. Their young coach Sergei, who left Russia after a mysterious end to his skating career, believes they can break through and make history.Emily and Chris are on track to be top contenders at the 2002 Winter Games. But when forbidden feelings spark between Emily and Sergei, broken trust and an unexpected enemy threaten to derail Emily's dreams of gold.
I'm fascinated by figure skating especially pairs skating so when I found this book and read the blurb about a pairs skater falling for her coach and their "forbidden" love (another of my favorite themes in romance books), I knew I had to read it. 

I was surprised because I thought the age difference between Sergei and Emily was going to be more than his 25 to her 19. Told strictly from Emily's POV (which had me wishing for Sergei's POV~especially in some scenes), I found that I wasn't immediately drawn in. Instead the magic of this book slowly wrapped around me in the story and characters until I was totally unaware of anything else but this world that Jennifer created. And I definitely did not want to leave!!

Not only did I love Sergei's character *sigh* but I found myself also connecting with Emily as well. I was so invested in them getting their HEA.  They struggled through the book with their feelings for each other and having to hide them from pretty much everyone. And how hiding their relationship affected those closest to them. They were so sweet together but nothing came easy for them. They got battered from all sides. I loved how Sergei was able to help Emily gain strength and confidence on and off the ice and I loved that he was consistently aware of what she needed from him and he was able to give her that comfort. Oh...and the way he loved her!! *sigh* Just loved these two together so much!! There was also great secondary characters that added so much to the story. I was rooting for Marley and Chris and I thought Courtney was so cute!! I did feel a little sorry for Drew because he was so sweet to Emily. 

Life On The Edge was such an interesting read. I really enjoyed the scenes with Emily and Chris's skating practices and competitions and then the Olympics. I liked the outcome of the Olympics and how Jennifer wrote Emily's reactions and feelings about what had happened. So good!! And even the part with 911~which I wasn't expecting and made the story feel more real to me. I also loved reading Emily's thoughts while she skated and the comfort she gained from Chris as her partner. 

I just have to say that I have never loved a book that didn't have one ounce of sex in it more!! lol ;)  Sergei and Emily's intense feelings for each other poured off the pages and there was an intimacy between them that didn't leave me feeling as though I was missing something. 

Just a great story that I enjoyed so much and I can't wait to return. Loved the ending and it definitely left me with a smile and wanting more. Going into my keeper pile to be reread.

BEST OF THE BEST rating!

***Copy provided by Jennifer Comeaux and Astraea Press ~Thank you!! 

                

  


Book Two
Edge of the Past
Emily's skating career and personal life have never been more golden. She and her partner Chris have won every competition they've entered this season, and she's found the man of her dreams in her coach Sergei. But when one of the biggest competitions of the year takes Emily and Sergei to Russia, Sergei's past explodes into the present and makes Emily doubt everything in their future.
I was so looking forward to reading Edge Of The Past and I was so not disappointed! This story doesn't focus as much on the skating and competitions like Life On The Edge did. The main focus here is more how a certain situation from Sergei's past affects him and Emily after they return from Russia. 

This is not the fun easy read that Life On The Edge was but it does have a HEA that I just loved. Although this story has love and romance it also has more than it's fair share of tears and heartache. Sergei and Emily are battered in this book as well. But besides that or maybe because of that, I think that this is my favorite of the two books so far. The flow of the writing and story sucked me in right from the start and wouldn't let go. I didn't want to leave Sergei and Emily at the end, even though I LOVED the ending. So sweet and definitely left a smile on my face. 

I love how Sergei tried not to exclude Emily from his dealings with Elena. He may have been distracted while struggling with all of the changes to their life but he tried hard not to leave her out and he constantly tried to tell her as well as show her that he loved her. Sergei  *sigh* He is definitely not the ALPHA male type but I fell in love with his character right from the start.  I thought he handled the situation as best as he could~considering. But I also felt for Emily's character and I thought that Jennifer wrote her feelings and emotions so well. I totally understood why she acted the way she did. And I even felt a little sorry for Elena. (just a little) lol  Again not one ounce of sex in this book either but as with Life On The Edge, I didn't feel that the story lacked because of it. Edge Of The Past definitely was not lacking in anything!! :)

Great addition to the series. Definitely a keeper to be reread. I have become a HUGE fan of Jennifer and I am not-so-patiently waiting for the third book!! lol 

LOVE the covers for this series!! 

BEST OF THE BEST rating!

***ARC provided by Jennifer Comeaux and Astraea Press~Thank you!! :)

                

  



1 comment: