Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Reviewed: Poughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia...

AMAZON    
Poughkeepsie
He counts her smiles every day and night at the train station. And morning and evening, the beautiful commuter acknowledges him—just like she does everyone else on the platform. But Blake Hartt is not like the others . . . he’s homeless. Memories of a broken childhood have robbed him of peace and twisted delusions into his soul. He stays secluded from the sun, sure the world would run from him in the harsh light of day. 
Each day, Livia McHugh smiles politely and acknowledges her fellow commuters as she waits for the train to the city. She dismisses this kindness as nothing special, just like her. She’s the same as a million other girls—certainly no one to be cherished. But special or not, she smiles every day, never imagining that someone would rely on the simple gesture as if it were air to breathe.
When the moment comes that Livia must do more than smile, without hesitation she steps into the fray to defend the homeless man. And she's surprised to discover an inexplicable connection with her new friend. After danger subsides, their smiles become conversation. Their words usher in a friendship, which awakens something in each of them. But it’s not long before their bond must prove its strength. Entanglements from the past challenge both their love and their lives.
Blake’s heart beats for Livia’s, even if her hands have to keep its rhythm. Love is patient. Love is kind. Love never fails. Love never fails, right?
In an interwoven tale of unlikely loves and relationships forged by fire, Debra Anastasia takes readers into the darkest corners of human existence, only to show them the radiant power of pure adoration and true sacrifice. Complicated families and confused souls find their way to light in this novel, which manages to be racy, profane, funny, and reverent all at once.

BEST OF THE BEST!!!
 Debra Anastasia is a new author for me. I had Poughkeepsie in my TBR pile but honestly, I wasn't sure when I would get around to buying it. So when I got the email from Debra stating that she got my blog link from Sam, E and R's Awesomness blog (thanks BTW) and would I be interested in reviewing Poughkeepsie, I thought well sure why not--it was already in my TBR pile.  Sometimes in life you just get lucky--everything comes together and out of the blue something truly great happens to you.  For me that is what happened when I received this email and I will always be grateful that this author and book found its way to me!!!  


Ever since reading Twilight, I have been on a reading frenzy! Devouring any and all books that I could get my hands on. Some I loved, some were just okay and others I hated. I laughed, cried, smiled, tore my hair out and thought about some for days after. I have applauded and cursed authors. I have loved and hated characters. I have read books that I never thought I would and absolutely loved them. But never have I read a book that touched me as deeply as Poughkeepsie.  This is the best book that I have read and I have  trouble finding the right words. I just never expected this book to be all that it was. It was truly an honor for me to read.  Poughkeepsie is the reason that I love to read and has only increased my addiction. It is everything that I could want in a book and a whole lot more.  I just wanted to gather the characters and put them in my pocket!! LOL   Blake (love him), Beckett (Oh, Beckett), Cole, Livia (love her), Kyle (love the things she says), Eve (Oh, Eve) and Mouse (Oh, Mouse-- Debra really got to me with him). 


Poughkeepsie pulled me under from the beginning and I drowned in it until the last word was read.  Debra had such a way with her writing of the characters that I was absorbed into the story by them. UGH... just so freakin' amazing!!!! Just within the first couple of pages, I knew I held something special. This book wore me out--I laughed and cried so much that I was exhausted when I finished this book just from all the emotions it brought out in me.  The relationship between Livia and Kyle was great--I just love the back and forth between them!! Such funny, tender, heartbreaking moments with the two of them. Their dialogue kills me!!! So foul mouth--love it. Same to be said of Beckett--Oh, I think I might have loved him the most. I just wanted to see him get his HEA so badly. Same for Eve--she deserved a HEA also.  They were just two tortured souls. I finished this book 2 days ago and the story and characters are still with me. 


There is not a high enough rating that I can give this book. And I know that my review does not even come close to doing it justice. It was just such an outstanding read. It was my absolute pleasure to read Poughkeepsie and I look forward to reading more from Debra Anastasia. She has definitely secured herself a fan. 


I have some favorite authors and some favorite books that I cherish and I just recently read Kristen Ashley and stated that her writing has ruined me for all other authors and books but after reading Poughkeepsie, Debra's writing has also ruined me and I will forever cherish this book!!! I will definitely be recommending Poughkeepsie and Debra Anastasia to anyone and everyone who will listen!!!! BEST OF THE BEST rating!!! 


Some of my favorite lines: 
"Beckett's probably the hardest man there is to love," Blake said. "He does life wrong for all the right reasons."


Cole talking to Livia about Blake:
"Four hundred forty-six," Cole whispered.  "He counts. You've smiled at him four hundred and forty-six times as 
of a few minutes ago. He announces the number every time I see him."


I don't want to spoil it so I will just say Blake and Livia and the scene with the cooler. *sigh*


Kyle gave her sister the finger. "You're a pecker sniffer." Kyle lived to shock Livia any chance she got. "A wakemare-I don't know, people take sleep meds and think they're sleeping but really they're up ordering pizza and then doing the delivery guy."

A tall, greasy man, clad in a cliche trench coat, flashed his long, white, naked body at anyone who looked his direction. Once he spotted Kyle and Livia, he made a beeline for their car. He flashed his coat open with great flourish in front of them as if on his own personal stage. He wiggled his meager offerings while the sisters watched, their noses wrinkled in distaste. 
Trench Coat then added a song to his pitiful dance: "Lulooly, Lulooly, Lulooly!"
Kyle pointed right at him and with great seriousness confronted Livia. 'Please tell me Mr. Frank n' Beans isn't Blake or Beckett."
"No Cocktail Weenie has nothing to do with why we're here." 
"That's one pale, hairless nightmare," Kyle said, still pointing. " I think I can smell his ass from here." Livia had to work not to smile. 
The McHugh girls could do this for hours. The flasher seemed offended by their repartee and closed his coat. 
Debra Anastasia Website


Photobucket


Omnific_logo_tagline.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Love Debra Anastasia!!! her writing is so much fun...she pulls you along such an amazing tale....
    love you honey!
    K~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by. Love Poughkeepsie so much -- I am looking forward to reading more from her. Have a great day!! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi sweetie. Great review. I will def. have to check this book out. If you loved it I am sure I will too. You never steer me wrong. Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did absolutely love it--so much I want to have babies with it!!! LOL But I'm nervous that you will not like it. It is a totally different story then I usually read--that it why I was so surprised I loved it so much. If you do read it, I will be interested to hear what you think about it. The author is so funny and sweet -- just love her too!!! have a great day and I hope you are doing okay--we don't get to talk much!! Miss u!! :)

      Delete
  3. OMG! OMG!! I love this book. Best Book ever. I thought Firelight (Which is still one of my favorites) was my best book but hands down Poughkeepsie is the best. You are so right it is not something I would normaly like and read but the writing is beautiful and love all the characters. Stayed up to wee hours in the morning reading it. Could not even sleep. I was going to right a book review and do man candy on blog today and can not even do it. I want to keep reading Poughkeepsie. Freakin love Beckett. Love the scene where Beckett is in the woods with the foster dad and he Beckett has a gun and say's YOU..Touched..my...brothers. WOW that was intense. I am only at the scene wear Blake is done playing the organ. Okay enough rambling. Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you love it as much as me!!! I have to read Firelight still--that is in my TBR pile!! I think it is so funny that you love Beckett also!!! *twins* LOL.. Beckett gets his own book next--Debra sent me a preview of his book and it is so damn good I can't stand it!!! ME and my sister have been talking about all the different scenes--just so good!!! Can't wait to read your review!! :)

      Delete