Friday, June 22, 2012

Reviewed: Guy's Angel by LeeAnn Sontheimer Murphy...


When a young woman really believes the sky is the limit, amazing things can happen….
Lorraine Ryan wants to fly airplanes so she heads for the local airstrip in 1925 to make her dream come true.  Most of the flyboys think she’s cute but a woman’s place is in the home, not the cockpit.   When Guy Richter steps up and offers to teach her to fly, she’s captivated with both Guy and flight.  He nicknames her “Angel” and takes her up into that wild blue yonder.  Before long, they’re deep in love.
Love, however, isn’t always enough……
Guy, a former World War I flying ace, is haunted by his past. His demons include his war service, the death of his only brother in an accident the previous year, and the Valkyries that he evaded in France who trail him in the hopes that they can complete his destiny.  But his dreams lie with Angel and as they grow closer and closer, he soon realizes that if anyone can save him, it’s his Angel.

I won this copy in the Shameless Summer Giveaway Hop
LIKED IT!!
LeeAnn Sontheimer Murphy is a brand new author for me and since Guy's Angel is the first book that I have read from her, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.  Even though I read the blurb, this book was nothing like I thought it was going to be and I am having a hard time trying to put my feelings about it into a review. So I guess I will break it down to my likes and dislikes.

What I liked:
          -The love shared between Angel and Guy.
          -Their attraction was immediate and the relationship stayed strong through out.
          -Guy was tortured, protective, sweet and loving. 
          -Sex scenes were good.
          -The whole concept of the story.
          -Angel being kind of naive but willing to stand up and fight for what she wanted no matter                            what others thought, especially when it came to loving Guy.
          -I really liked their relationship and wanted them to get their HEA.
          -Guy was about 10 years older then Angel but I never felt like he took advantage of her.
          -Epilogue - although I wish it was a few years later, I still really liked it.


What I didn't like:
          -Some of the dialogue - half I didn't understand.(I understand this is how people talked back then but it just didn't work for me. I could get passed it but it took something away from the story for me.) Examples: 
"That sounds nifty," Angel said.
"Absolutely and how," Angel said.
"That'd be swell Guy" 
"God, that was the bee's knees"
"We'll knock the rubes dead when we go barn storming." 
"Let me scrub up the dishes and we'll skedaddle."
"Posi-lute-ly"
"I can't pony up the cabbage for a hotel very often"
"Got a little cash for me?" (Guy saying this to Angel-he was asking her for a kiss-it took me a while to figure that out-I really thought he was asking her for money.) LOL
"We'll really bend our knees tomorrow so put on the Ritz if you want"
"That was the cat's meow!"
"Hey. Everything's jake."
"Applesauce - tell me."
"That was copasetic"
           -I didn't understand why Angel cut off her hair--I totally missed the whole point of this.
           -The Valkyries at the end--maybe because I am not Catholic--but I just didn't get the final confrontation (I got what was happening-I just didn't like it and wished she had went another way with the final confrontation.) I think it was far fetched and it definitely ruined that part of the story for me because up to that point, I actually really liked the addition of the Valkyrie and the roll they played through out the story.


I didn't hate the book but the parts that I didn't like battled with the parts that I did so even after sleeping on it I am still unsure how I feel about this book. LOL   3 out of 5 rating.


I will have to try another of LeeAnn Sontheimer Murphy's books to compare. 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment